Wednesday 25 July 2007

Den making

When I was little I used to make a den with a blanket drapped over the back of the settee. When I was old enough to play outside I made dens at the end of the garden, using bits of wood and old carpet from the garage. I once planted a conker because I thought it might grow into tree big enough to hold the den holy grail- a tree house. Then, when I got a bit older, I started making dens in the woods and once spent a week making a den in the middle of a hollybush. The hollybush den was so big i decided to call it a base. On scout camp I made a den in the woodpile and shot people who couldnt see me with my waterpistol as they walked past.

Then I got older and forgot about making dens.

Then my sister got married, had two little boys and last christmas I spent most of boxing day making dens with my nephews. I started them off with the classic blanket over the back of the settee, and finished the afternoon with a very spacious blanket over the dining table. The delight in my nephews' faces was remarkable. It was nice to be back in the den making circle. I envied all the den making possibilites that their future holds.

Then yesterday I recieved my ebay-purchased overwrap that fits onto my giant fishing umbrella which will be used in my night fishing trip on Monday. I put it up in the garden to check it out. Separtely they didnt make much, but together, I was delighted to see, they made a den.

Dens rule.

10 comments:

Jenny! said...

You should be a Den Mother for the Girl Scouts!

The Author Of This said...

I'd forgotten all about Dens until now...hmmm...I wonder what I have laying around my house...

Ant said...

Hmmm...

They're never Dirty Dens are they?

Anonymous said...

'Basemakers!
They make bases
in all different places'

Crashdummie said...

Den Maker!

Brings back memories.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

C-Unit and I used to make dens down at Snakers Woods.

Great days. I guess this is the joy of having kids - an excuse to do that stuff again without seeming like a freak.

Dizzie said...

Oh, my, God! I used to make dens too! I draped a blanket over the backs of two chairs and I could sit there for hours! My grandparents didn't appreciate me pulling out their antique dining room chairs into the garden, true, but still...!

Thank you - I almost forgot that! You spurred a childhood memory for me! *yay*

Okami said...

Ooooh - I used to love doing that.

Except we never called them dens - but as you well know, we Canadians rarely ever do anything logically.

And what’s wrong with being a freak Ultra? Jump into absurdity with both feet I say, and let those wallowing in mundane adulthood glare at us with envy!!

Princess Pointful said...

Eek! I love forts (as we called them). My dad used to bring home enormous boxes, and we could cut doors and windows out of them. Though nothing beat my roofless treehouse...

I think my friends should start having more kids to allow me to have a little more responsibility-free fun.

SMARTBuddy said...

Whay-Hey! 10 comments! thats my first double figure post that is, and yes, I am including my own comment. Ive just realised that I clearly spelt drap(p)ed wrongly. How awfully embarrassing.