Sunday 22 July 2007

Leaves on the line

Its not quite gone off the rails, but progress in my new life down south has been frustratingly slow for the past month or so.

I wont blame the weather, and will try not to dwell on the wettest June for 95 years, or the severe flooding that has followed it in July. Things have just slowed to a near stop after a frantic first six weeks of meeting people, drinking, and then meeting people I would struggle to remember the next day.

I guess that things run in cycles, and there can't be solid back to back great times, if for no other reason than their regularity would, by definition, stop them being unusually great.

I'm amazed at how close I've got to my French housemate T. I'd had an irrational loathing of the stereotypical french ever since 'they' stole my football while I was inter-railing with friends as a carefree 21 year old. Both the already departed J, and the soon to depart T have been wonderful to live with, and I feel lucky to have met such a friendly and funny pair. Ive had great fun spending a whole evening getting drunk with T, saying 'un bon muff' and laughing whenever an attractive looking girl has come onto the TV. Sad, I know, but somehow it was brilliant. I'm not sure what I'm going to do when T leaves on Weds. Not in the mopping a tear with my hanky type way, but because his room is the first in a series of three that will quickly be emptied and refilled by a girl. A few years ago this would have filled me with excitement at the prospect of rolling round the lounge floor with a new arrived single housemate (happened once in 8 years!), but today I'm genuinely more worried about being in the middle of the winging / bitching / tension that is bound to happen when 5 twenty somethings with no Y chromosomes start interacting.

Still, the cycle will turn around again I'm sure, and it is interesting to imagine what the future holds down here. I hope I can get a neat circle of friends together and start doing some things on the weekends when the weddings and watching le tour de France have run their course.

This might well start next weekend, as camping and then a night fishing trip are all booked in.

6 comments:

Jenny! said...

I could never live with woman! I would hang myself for sure! Good luck...but as a male, maybe that would be more fun...taking peeks after a shower kind of fun!

How many more weddings to go???

SMARTBuddy said...

Yeah, shower peaking would be good, but i dont want to get know as the creepy one. 2 weddings left, though another is penciled in for december. that will be 7- Im thinking of calling Norris Mcwhirter.

Ant said...

Spent most of my uni days living with 3 women - for the most part it was pretty good, and I think as the only Y representative I managed to defuse a lot of the bitching. But after three years, the parting was inevitably fractious...

It's when they all start menstruating at the same time that you need to watch (I was going to say it gets messy, but that's baaaad imagery...)

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Chin up Buddy!

I haven't seen you in ages, so maybe I could pop down one weekend.

SMARTBuddy said...

ant, hopefully itll be alright, though that does make me feel a bit like an emu with his head in the sand.

toast, Cheers mate! - youre always welcome down here in sunshine city. Im planning on a pre-brazil weekend, so will let you know.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Sweet.

That would be great