Thursday 2 August 2007

Fishing, drinking and dressing up adventures

It got dark and i retreated into my bivvy (den) to keep warm. My rods were ready, two baits in the margins and one about 30 yards in front, all single, sinking, caramel flavoured boilies. The bite alarms were waiting to alert me to a carp taking line. I was too on edge to sleep, so made a cup of tea, fidgeted, and eventually got out my phone. I randomly clicked my way through to the new recorded videos section. The dark screen shot of MOV00030 seemed unfamiliar, and said it was from 3.14am on Friday night. I clicked it twice to get it playing and saw an image of my (silver- I'm getting to this bit) face swing into semi-focus out of the blackness. The timer said it would go on for 2 minutes 12 seconds. I was walking back from the club, alone. The first ten seconds was me explaining, in a horribly drunk voice that I was doing a video diary of my thoughts as I was obviously not going to remember anything the following day. I was, evidently, right, as I had no memory of making this video, and became curious and slightly nervous as to what i might come out with.

I should explain a little background. There was a leaving party on Friday night with work and a Superhero theme for fancy dress had been called. I went as the Silver Surfer- I spray painted a rash vest and pair of boardies silver, got some face and body paint for my head and legs and then silver hair sprayed my hair. I also made a board out of a polystyrene sheet and wrapped it in tin foil. To be fair, it was a good costume. I got on the wine and quickly arrived at the village of Too Much Wine, which I decided looked like a rubbish place to stop for the night so carried onto the next town. I arrived at Far Too Much Wine quickly and then really started caning it, and then got on the beer and eventually spirits. By about 1 am, I had, as a friend once so insightfully described, 'gone to the other side'

I paused the video and got into my sleeping bag as the clear sky was making the air cool a lot faster than my jumper alone could warm it. MOV00030 continued and I squirmed with embarrassment and disbelief as I described my thoughts on:

1) The difficulty of walking in a straight line and how I kept stumbling to the left.
2) Girls at the party; I apparently 'fancied' Lara Croft and something about trying to dance with another.
3) The fact that I was worried about the lack of sleep aspect of getting up for the camping trip the next morning.
4) The fact that I was worried about whether or not I would remember to have a shower when I got in (I didn't, my quilt and pillow is now also silver).

At one point a car goes past and beeps at me and someone shouts something at me, but its hard to hear or see what happened as the video and sound gets blurred.

Of the 4 points above I vaguely remember half of point 2 (Lara was hot, if a little posh) but nothing about making the video. I told my workmates this story and they thought it was funny to record yourself when drunk. They also laughed at the thought of me walking up a road with silver surf board in one hand and phone in the other, filming myself talking to myself about myself.* I have to agree that is slightly unusual behaviour. They wanted to see the clip but I made an excuse as I didn't want them to hear the bit with about point 2.

I lie back and eventually relax. The black closes in and I'm asleep.

Zzz

Zzzz

Zzz

ZzBEEEEEE-EEEE-EEEEEEP BEEE-EEEEEEEEEEEEE-EEEEEEEEP and my middle rod has screamed off. I fall out of bed, out of the tent and eventually make it to the rod and strike into the fish. 15lbs 4oz, a mirror carp. Steveo also gets a run at 5 o'clock ish and it turns out to be a 26lb 4oz beast of a carp. Im chuffed for him, and immediately our yearly night fishing session is a success.

*It seems crazy, but at that point in the post a iwas talking about myself filming myself talking to myself about myself. The chances of this happening again seem very remote.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please put the video online for our viewing pleasure!

The Author Of This said...

I'm agreeing on that point...that video has "YouTube Classic" written all over it!

SMARTBuddy said...

Hmmmm, im not at all conviced! maybe ill try to edit it a little..

Ant said...

:-D Too funny! Agree with the others - get in on YouTube...

Technology is an evil thing when drunk - I woke up one hungover morning to find my phone saying "Please enter PUK" instead of "Please enter PIN". What the hell had I been doing? Also, photos of such nights should always be developed in black and white to avoid the rosy-cheeked hideousness (but then I suppose the silver wouldn't be as obvious...)

Jenny! said...

I want to see the video! You crazy ass!

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

You are slightly mental

Dizzie said...

Half naked and painted in silver... sounds like my next-to-last single girlfriends bachelorette party! LOL

But that ended at the local police station...

But yes, the costume rocks! :D

SMARTBuddy said...

ant, I agree- ive sent so many drunk texts that have not been anywhere near justified!
jenny!, hmmm still not sure YouTube is ready..
toast, cheers mate, only after ive been on the wine
heart, sounds like a great party to be at! But I did benefit from managing to avoid the police (I think).

Okami said...

Ah yes - I hear that those villages are lovely places to visit, but those who vebture there rarely remember their visit.

Hmm...perhaps post cards are in order.

Although I can't help but double over laughing at the thought of your now metallic bed coverings, not to mention wanting to partake in watching the video as much as everyone else, you get massive credit for just being able to operate any function on your phone in that state.