Tuesday 7 August 2007

The Spanish Bruce Willis

We've lost a few housemates of late, in fact its only me and L upstairs who are left from when I first moved in only 4 months ago. That seems a very rapid turnover for such a nice house. I hope I don't smell.
Andre the giant left without a trace, and I couldn't be happier that ill never have to put up with that giant drama queen ever again. French T's room has a new girl in it, Vosam, while M and N downstairs have also just left, and been replaced by Catwoman. Catwoman was named, some say ingeniously, I say it just comes to me naturally, because shes a woman and she owns a cat. We have also got Spanish D, who is here for 3 months to do some work of his PhD studying aquatic beetles.

And so, with the intensely boring introduction done and dusted, I can finally reach the point of this so far, at least, disappointing post.

Spanish D and I are watching Unbreakable last night, a Bruce Willis film about a guy who part realises and part always knew that he never gets ill or injured, and that essentially, that makes him a superhero.


I couldn't work out if it was good or shit- bits I enjoyed, but a lot of it didn't quite sit together, but anyway. Spanish D explains that in Spain, all of the American movies are dubbed into Spanish, and that each English speaking actor gets assigned a Spanish voice over actor, who will, to aid continuity, dub all of this actors films through his career. I find this fascinating.

I wonder how the voice over actors get assigned. There must be huge competition to get Hollywood's next hot property, simply because you'll be quids in doing his movies for the next few years. I guess Bruce Willis must be a good actor to 'get' as you'll get loads of work, but then again there must be high demands on your time as they cant delay a film release because you're off on holiday. I wonder if they copy accents, or if there is no need to, as its being translated anyway. I wonder if they go to premieres, or what happens if they die before the actor? What do they do if their actor sings, and they cant? Is there an official governing body who control all the voice artists and who make sure Bruce Willis is always Bruce Willis. I wonder if they can get assigned two or more actors, and if so, whether a curious casting incident has ever led to an actor talking to himself offscreen, onscreen. Or, on the same lines, since most voice over people are actors, they might not be able to get real acting work in films that their English speaking stars are in.
D explains its funny hearing the real Bruce Willis's voice for the first time, and that his Spanish counterparts is completely different (in addition to it being Spanish, obviously).

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about last night.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Apparently there is one in Spain called Constantino Romero, who dubs Clint Eastwood, Darth Vader and the Terminator.

Crashdummie said...

Few years ago me and Sid went to the movies to see Scooby Doo with her younger siblings. While sitting there we wee surprised over how incredibly young the crowd were. As the movie started, it hit me and I turned to ask her whether this was the English or the dubbed version…. Yupp, you guessed it, unless Sarah Michelle Geller had learnt how to speak Swedish, throw voice and totally alter it, it was dubbed alright! We giggled probably for about 15 minutes and got dirty looks from the kiddies…

It still was hilarious, and you should definitely try seeing a dubbed movie!

Princess Pointful said...

You gotta feel for those people who though they had hit the jackpot with the next big thing, like Jason Priestly.

Jenny! said...

I like that movie, but I agree some parts are a bit slow or off! I would love to be a voice over actor for Brad Pitt...that would be hot...I sound nothing like him, but I could totally do his lines, pretend I am him and then touch myself!

The Author Of This said...

I'm going with this view that this film was a bit pants. Samuel L Jackson was a bit weird too.

Do they do the same the other way round with the voices? Like, for Jackie Chan movies when he didn't speak English? And Bruce Lee?

Did you ever get round to seeing Transformers? What did you think?

The Girl said...

I went to see American Pie 2 in a Dutch cinema once. I was certain it was going to be dubbed...thankfully they screened it in English.

They should have at least sub-titled it because most of the Dutch audience didn't get half the slang references. Me + friends felt like idiots being the only one's laughing at the funny bits!

(When it comes to Spanish films...stick to their home grown talent. Almodovar is a great Director!)

SMARTBuddy said...

patch, top knowledge- id like to see the film where them three come together!
crash, ha! Scooby Doo rules! In Thailand i once saw a dubbed version of Star Wars with English subtitles (as if I needed them!)
princess, oh so harsh!
jenny, that would make an interesting soundtrack im sure!
AMC, its weird isint it?! I have seen Transformers- I really enjoyed it, but there was something missing somewhere. I may review it if i get time.
lucy, its good to laugh on your own sometimes- at least thats what i keep telling myself! Ill look up that director- thanks.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I watched a dubbed version of Eyes Wide Shut in Spain The actor sounded way slicker than Cruise.

I expect The Voice Actors Guild would be able to answer your questions.

That abbreviates to Vag.

Hee!