Thursday 7 June 2007

The Drum and the Bass.

[Having chosen this title, part of me wishes the post was about a fishing trip where I caught a Bass and perhaps saw a drum floating by in the sea. As will become obvious, this is not what has happened.]

J of the French couple fame is leaving the house. This is a shame. However it did mean a going away party. We had a BBQ* in the back garden and drank, in descending order of quantities, Stella, Wine, Pastis and Vodka. After the BBQ we went to a Drum and Bass club, as chosen by the departing J. We got back at 3 am, and I am, needless to say, feeling completely ruined today. I was singing to Fall Out Boy’s ‘thnks fr th mmrs’ embarrassingly loudly on my walk in. Oh the fun of alcohol lasting till the morning.

I’ve never been to a real drum and bass night before, and can report that I was pleasantly surprised. It was kind of like speeded up rock music. I found it hard to dance to as it’s so fast. Rock music is good, as the beat fits our anthropometrics (whey-hey! anyone having that?)- you can nod your head, jump up and down, tap your hand on the bar – and all these things seem to happen naturally and easily within the timeframe set out by the beat. For Drum and Bass, they’ve got 4 or sometimes 8 beats in the space that there’s one for Rock. If you nodded your head you’d look really silly, and probably strain your neck. Gravity isn’t strong enough to fit a jump into time with the drum, and hand tapping that fast just isn’t enjoyable.

Once I was drunk though, I started to get it. I tried to dance faster than normal and to get with every two beats. Occasionally I tried to get every beat, by moving alternative arms on each beat, or doing some small karate-chop type things I saw some of the regulars doing. Luckily, I couldn’t actually see myself, so (in my head at least) can only assume I was looking good.

The MC wasn’t what I had expected either. I thought he’d be just saying stuff up the front like, ‘Come on Plymouth’ ‘Yeah’ ‘Yeah’ ‘One love(!)’ etc, but he was almost singing - making a load of really fast noise over the music. My other French housemate T, who struggles with his English, was saying something over the noise,

‘I can’t understand what he says, its too fast’

and I was replying,

‘Mate, its not your English, I can’t him understand either’

My housemate L upstairs was really good at dancing, she was pulling all sorts of moves id never even seen before, and somehow she overcame the limits of speed my body was struggling with.

Im glad I went though, its good to understand what other people are into, even if its not your first choice. Plus, its not every night you go to a club in a Bus Station, and for that alone it was better than a night in the cheesy chart music type place.

*We have been trying out different makes of disposable BBQ, and last nights effort from Asda scored the lowest yet, despite being a relatively hefty £1.80. So far, the ranking in terms of maximum heat output and duration has been Sainsburys, Morrisons, Aldi, Trago Mills then Asda. The cheapest is Trago Mills at 89p each. That is a brilliant BBQ bargain.

11 comments:

Jenny! said...

"Stella, Wine, Pastis and Vodka"...I totally thought you wrote Pasties...like the nipple cover things from strip clubs...i guess i don't need to explain, but that made me laugh hard...like very hard! I was like, wow some kind of going away BBQ they are having!

The Author said...

Mucho Laughing was had from this post! I remember the days when I was at college and was into Happy Hardcore (I can't believe I listened to such dross). Your insights into how you dance whilst under the influence have me chortling at my laptop. Good skills!

Incidentally...Strippers cover their nipples with Pasties? I thought they contained meat and were from Cornwall. The Pasties, not the strippers.

SMARTBuddy said...

Hi jenny!, maybe some pasties explanation would be useful- Im unsure, as is john by the sounds of it. There probably are some clubs in cornwall where they cover their bits with real pasties!
In an attempt to clear the matter up, I meant the French aniseedy drink a bit like Perno that you drink with water, though it could be spelt wrong..

Anonymous said...

Nice to see you have broadened your horizons and have embraced a little bit of D n B!

Great narrative bud, you're right; dancing to it is a challenge especially when pie eyed.

I find that you can nod, but you have to do it to every other beat, if stuck you can look in the darkened corners of the club for the messy people; unable to dance, all they can generally muster is an appreciative nod.

C-unit

Jenny! said...

Thanks for explaining...I could be the one spelling incorrectly...been know to do that. I just totally misread, and thought that was a good time...and John, strippers are just meat!

Princess Pointful said...

I've never heard much drum & bass, but I must say that I am a little intrigued. Nothing like some really good and intense beats to make even the non-dancers move.

Crashdummie said...

Sounds like you had a wicked time.

SMARTBuddy said...

Ah yes C Unit in the house. Glad you enjoyed- youre a D&Ber are you?

Cheers jenny! no problem. Pastis, Pasties and Pasties would make a good post in itself!

PP its def worth a go if nothing but for people watching. Im sure that I looked 'funny' at best.

Crash, it was indeed a good night and an equally rough following morning!

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

I dance to D n'B at half-time as oppose to double, or just draw my hand across in front of me Miyagi style in some kind of Tai Chi homage to the 'outside the box' thinking of simply avoiding the beat altogether.

Anonymous said...

buy valium online valium no prescription online - valium effects diabetes

Anonymous said...

buy valium valium xr - the pill valium