Friday 22 June 2007

4 Weddings and a Stag do (Anon)

[I was writing the below post about weddings and for the first time had to stop and think the annoyomous bloggers worse thoughts;

What if this ever got out?

Id initially wanted to remain a completely anonymous blogger. The internet cloaking device of anonymity is a good one. Ive felt confident writing anything about anything, safe in the knowledge that the subject matter would never be able to put two of my posts together with two uncanny resemblances to themselves and make a very uncomfortable foursome. However, as it has gone on (and I’m still just beginning, to be fair) a few of my friends have found me out, usually because of a few, ‘I’m so blogging that’ comments (No, really) down the pub. This is fine; they know the score, plus Ive got nothing to write about my friends that I wouldn’t say to them anyway (well most of the time). I’m more worried (not sure if that’s the right word... yeah, worry it is) that ill reach the point where I cant write what I want to because there’s a chance the subject of the post might read it, and if so it would be unfair on them. It’s difficult, as if I have to hold back the point of it seems reduced.]


Anyway, back to the weddings

Wedding number 2 in the series of 5 this summer is on Saturday. I am only really a ‘oh we’ve got a space left, lets invite... oh what’s his name... you know, JP’s friend... the fish guy’ type of invite so am only going to the evening do. My friend actually suggested that I might only be invited as the bride would like to tell people shes friends with a (insert my distinguished sounding title) and that another friend who is a Lawyer was invited for the same reason. If that’s the case she’ll almost certainly be disappointed when I break out some knee slides and air guitar on the dance floor.

Im probably more looking forward to number 3, for which I’m an Usher, and doing a reading at the church. I decided that because of this reading responsibility I should be known as ‘head’ usher, and after much self proclamation this title has stuck, much to the annoyance of the (now known as) ‘inferior other’ usher.

Number 2 will be good though, don’t get me wrong. Weddings have a certain sheen about them that seems to make all the expense worthwhile, and observing the families raw emotion up close can be really moving. On top of this, having an entire group of friends together in one place is recipe enough for a magnificent evening. I wish the couple a wonderful rest of life.

Even the cake is in tiers.

Boom Boom.

6 comments:

Jenny! said...

I have only been to a few weddings and they have all blown, but 5 in a summer is crazy! Your distinguished title??? Very curious!

The Author Of This said...

Dame Smartbuddy? Last joke rocked by the way.

Princess Pointful said...

I've been contemplating the anonymity thing a great deal lately. I think I hold to it for the same sense of freedom... my blog is a very covert operation, thus so far there have been no "wait til I blog that" slip-ups. Though I'm waiting for a curious friend to look over my shoulder and ask about the odd names in my in-box.

Chris Benjamin said...

guess my blog's not so anonymous (my parents read it, for example) and someitmes i am careful what i say there, which is sometimes a bummer.

i generally love weddings, as long as the couple doesn't take it too seriously.

SMARTBuddy said...

jenny! Wedding #2 went well, looking forward to #3 already. Friends weddings are much more fun than family ones.

amc's If only I was a Dame! (And its not that distinguished, I dont even know why i didnt write it).

PP, its tough, eh? I am now worried someone at work has somehow found the site as ive been getting paranoid reading my sitemeter thingy.... hmmm.

benjiB, My folks dont even know what a blog is! I guess its inevitable in the end.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

After that last joke, I'm glad that I actualy know who you are.

It means I can punish you next time I see you.