Monday 11 June 2007

Bring in the lobster pots, Im coming home with crabs.

I learnt to snorkel as a fish-loving child while on my family holiday in Minorca. I remember clinging onto my dad’s hand as I felt a strange sensation of vertigo while watching shoals of sea bream 40 metres below me in the crystal clear waters around Cala galdana. That holiday I went on to see a shark-shaped dogfish (Shock! Ahh Help! No, panic over he’s not coming to eat me), an octopus, and countless other beasties living in amongst the rocks of the shoreline.

Snorkelling has remained a great favourite of mine, but only on holidays in the tropics where the water is warm (and the DVDs are copied). Back in England I always assumed that the sea would be too cold, the water too cloudy, or that the standard of marine beasties on offer would not be up to scratch.

I was wrong.

On Thursday night I went to Wembury with Big J. We arrived, donned our neoprene, and swam out from the beach- our fins enabling thorpedo-like speed through the shallows. The cold on my head seemed severe at first, but then I started to see some fish and I soon forgot about it. Here I was in England, looking at brightly coloured wrasse, shoals of sandeel, gar fish, pollack, mackerel and at least 3 other species that I didn’t recognise. It was amazing.

Big J found a huge edible crab living under a ledge. I dived down and clung to the rocks, the air being the only part of my body wanting to get back to the surface. I watched the crab for a bit, then realised how peaceful it was under the water. Behind me a field of seaweed sloshed forwards and backwards as the waves passed overhead. The rhythm was hypnotic, there was so much seaweed moving together in perfect unison that it made the exposed rocks appear like they were the things moving. I enjoyed confusing my brain and I wished I could hold my breath forever, but quickly realised I couldn’t. We swam on and saw loads of spider crabs, which weren’t scary, despite their large size and likeness of giant spiders. They were so easy to catch that I wondered if they'd make good eating. An investigation of a Lobster Pot showed me my first English Lobster that wasn’t in a restaurant and I was tempted to free her, but didn’t.

We drove home and wondered at the possibilities.

8 comments:

Jenny! said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! I can't imagine finding anything normal in Lake Michigan...except for the e coli....I am not a fan of open water!

The Author said...

I'll have to put you in touch with my old housemate Neil. He's a qualified diver & teacher, and has done loads of places off the UK. As well as loads of other clearer and warmer places.

Can't say it appeals to me though. Not enough bikes under water.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Yeah, I'm pretty enamoured with the idea now

Dizzie said...

See, the ocean has never had that appeal on me - at least not what's under the surface, in the ocean... don't get me wrong, I love to swim, I just have an aversion towards everything that's swimming along with me. :)


Nice blog, BTW

Crashdummie said...

Snorkeling? Aaaah! Don’t think it goes well with my minor aquaphobia. But my brother just got a license in scuba diving – yey him.

Snorkeling in England? Who thought freedom was so close by.

Cheers!

Jenny! said...

FYI: I come here often to read the post title over an over...never stops making me laugh!

SMARTBuddy said...

Whey Hey!

jenny! I bet there is- you just need to look under the surface..

john I bet theres a youtube cycling under water vid somewhere...

toasty, get on it mate- where theres rocks, theres fish, I cant wait to get in again, the first basking sharks were 'down cornwall' way last weekend

heart od, welcome. Youve probably just watched Jaws too many times? Dont get me wrong, it can be a bit nerveracking, theres always the 'shark' thought in my head, but its just a rational thought now

Crash, maybe youre like heart above? you just need some fish therapy. Im a diver too, but I prefer snorkelling nowadays- cant be doing with the rules and kit of a dive.

jenny!2 yeah, you got it!

Princess Pointful said...

Sounds amazing.
You've already heard me rant over tide pools numerous times... I would be in heaven actually snorkelling. It's a shame I've never went!