Monday 15 September 2008

Written on Friday, posted on Monday...

Hungover, I am, again, after Pub Thursday. There are no stories from the week so it will be a diary post today.

Wake boarding was cancelled last night due to it being too windy. We went down to the centre but the sea was really choppy and the two experienced guys both thought it would be rubbish, so we drove home and moaned about the weather. It has, apparently, been the wettest two consecutive summers ever in England. It feels like the summer has been stolen, but southern Europe has had better than average sunshine, so maybe not. It is made worse by not having a holiday to look forward to this year. There is no Brazil trip (though maybe next year…), and I haven’t booked another holiday as am really struggling with funds while trying to save up for a new car. I think once I get switched into winter mode ill quite enjoy it, but at the moment my body wants to lie in the sun, but the weather is so cold we have had to put the heating on.

This morning I have been reading a lot about the LHC and am quite interested in its results, despite not fully understanding the finer details of what is going to happen. It is by far the biggest and most exciting science experiment ever made. There is a really good science podcast on the BBC (here) the current episode of which is all about the LHC. If you have any science geek genes whatsoever you’ll probably enjoy it. I’ve just tried to put a clever status on my Facebook saying that the LHC was not as complicated as my HPLC (which is constantly going wrong) but it kept on crashing so I gave up.

This weekend brings the Bristol Half marathon, which is my last race of the season. I’ve lost a little bit of enthusiasm for training over the final few weeks, but am still hoping to run a PB, and will be gutted if I don’t get under 1h30m. My run training has been slightly different this year as ive done a lot more easy pace long runs (~20K) and occasional short sprints, as opposed to only running my usual 10K type distances. Ive also been playing 5-a-side footy once a week which I think is brilliant for speed training, but I guess we will see on Sunday.

Im back to the homeland tonight, so have got another date with LEA. Things are going ‘alright’, which is a step down from the first few weeks, but I think this is mainly because I haven’t seen her for 4 weeks. The reasons why, and the consequences of which can be analysed (and have been, by my head) for hours with few conclusive answers turning up.

3 comments:

The Author Of This said...

I saw some programme on the LHC on the BBC's iPlayer. It was presented by one of the guys working on it. And it was outstandingly interesting. Not sure if that's the one you're refering to? Bit amazing that they can whizz anything around all that tubing 11,000 times a second!

Why haven't you seen LEA for 4 weeks?? Have you been at sea or am I just not remembering something?

PG said...

Good luck with the race!

It's actually kind of settling to hear a guy say that he's spent several hours analyzing his relationship. I know many guys do it - just most don't admit it.

Princess Pointful said...

I think you should present us with the reasons and let us decide! Clearly logical, yes?