Tuesday 30 September 2008

Oh. (Dumped)

Oh.

Still no news from LEA. No text. No message. I hate myself for doing so, but I check her Facebook. She is definitely back, its full of loads of shit updates. Whats going on?

I email her at lunchtime, ‘Hey! Are you back?’

She replies, ‘Yeah’

Nothing else. One word. Not even a full stop.

Oh.

This is not good.

I don’t reply.

The afternoon passes.

I walk home, and decide to go up round the Hoe. I pass a bench looking out over the sea and sit down to think. I look to my right and see another bench. I suddenly get a memory. That bench, this location, has some history. It’s the bench I sat on about 9 years ago, under what feels like similar circumstances, when I had just split with my Uni girlfriend. At this moment (well, lets not lie, about 1 minute after id set off again) I get the text.

'Blah blah blah are you free for a chat blah blah blah blah I'm finding more than friends weird and holiday made me realise that. Don’t want to loose you as a friend thou blah blah blah blah'

Oh.

So that’s it.

My mind whirrs. I'm gutted, but it’s some sort of relief to know at least. My brain kicks out these thoughts, in this order, over the next 5 minutes:

1. Does that mean she’s shacked up with some cunt on her holiday?
2. What am I going to do with the tickets I bought for us to go and see Tim Minchin on Sunday?
3. I cringe at the thought of sending her a FaceBook message while she was on holiday saying that I missed her loads.
4. What / How has (this) gone wrong in such a short space of time?
5. I don’t think I want to be friends with her. Ive seen a different side and cant go back.

I get home. I decide to run away from the problem. I run for 2 hours. I did 1¾ hours yesterday, so I’ve just set a new record for the most running I’ve ever done in 2 days – about 30 miles.

I feel more angry than distraught.

But I still cry a little bit.

My thoughts sway between two schools. The ageing 3-belt champion idea is to call her up and launch into her; tell her she shouldn’t be so fickle, shouldn’t fuck about with peoples feelings, and should have told me before she went on holiday. But this is not me. The undefeated young challenger idea is to try and rise above it – we were good friends once - we've got lots of mutual friends. Maybe, probably, in a week or two ill be grateful for doing so if I bite my lip now. I decide to not reply and let things set in for a day or two.

Then I get home and change my mind. I think I should send her a text or else she might call me and I don’t really want to speak to her. At first I write:

‘WTF?! Youre so weird. You shouldnt fuck about with peoples feelings’

But during typing it the predictive text only found ‘duck’ instead of ‘fuck’ and as I was trying to solve it the screen suddenly said ‘Sending Message.’

Panic!

I press every button on the phone 34 times in one second and thank fuck it cancelled the sending. Phew. I’m not sure what LEA would have made of ‘you shouldn’t duck’ Maybe she would have taken it as a threat – ‘don’t you fucking duck bitch when I shoot at you!’ - Or maybe not. I think back to when I finished with the Twin and got a blank text through; I guess she wasn’t quite so lucky with the cancelling.

Having read the text back it sounded a bit jovial, a bit matter of fact. I want her to know she has hurt, but I don’t want to write an essay. I change it to;

‘Oh. Understood. I am gutted. You shouldnt be so fickle with peoples hearts’

No Reply.

Good.

Now I'm in my room listening to Damien Rice and Arcade Fire, typing this. I made some freezer bolognaise but cant eat it. I try to phone my mum (she doesn’t know about LEA) as it would be nice to have a chat about nothing in particular, but she is engaged for three tries.

Oh.

Without wanting to sound too fickle myself, I’m looking forward to ‘Amazon’ tonight more than ever. Ive heard that they go to Manaus in one episode, the city I stayed in for 6 weeks last year.

I hope AnnE and DPsyc are not downstairs as Ill have to tell them and it will be rubbish.

Dumped.

Oh.

7 comments:

The Author Of This said...

Mate, I am seriously gutted for you. That sucks, big time. Felt all your pain through that post, especially trying to cancel the text! Also glad that you changed your mind about what you were writing.

Not going to offer any "Plenty more fish in the sea" advice, because when anyone else has offered that to me it just made me want to slap them.

Chin up though dude.

Lisa said...

Every time I get dumped I run so much that I injure myself... so just be careful!

(... use swimming as an alternate release!)

Anonymous said...

Dude

Sorry to hear of your troubles mate. It generally sucks ass for a while.......

I'm now almost 2 months out of it and yes, it still smarts as it would after 4 years but the non-contact thing does help. I have the sometimes huge urge to contact her, to hear her voice etc but have been strong thus far, have turned into somewhat of a lush but am cancelling it out successfully by being a gym whore!

Chin up your laboratory fishies and the C-UNiT still love you

Might have to come see you/catch up in Jannerland, your thoughts?

Take care fella

SMARTBuddy said...

AMC thanks for your thoughts - much appreciated. Im not sure whats going on with my phone - i seem to get sending too early issues whenever i try and spell/find a new word. CHin is now approaching level!

IFar. Thanks for the advice - swimming makes a lot more sense in many ways. Surely you cant get dumped that often?!

C unit - I have Facebooked your gym ass. Which sounds gayer than its meant to, but not by much.

Ant said...

Right.

I am proud of you, largely because you used the word "cunt" in this post. I am also proud that you didn't send the gangsta-style "I'm gonna slap my fucking Hoe round the face with a duck" (or whatever it was) text.

However, can I suggest next time that you do send the jovial text - if you want to fuck up a woman's mind good and proper while she's dumping you, outwardly shrug the shoulders (even if it smarts inside). At worst she's confused and upset ("oh, am I not all that?") At best it re-ignites her interest in you.

And if it makes you feel any better, from what I can gather, this relationship has been on a respirator for a while now (though I do get confused between the twin or LEA...) so it ending seems to be a Good Thing.

The "fish in sea" cliche is a cliche because it's true - now get back out there and start picking up dem Hoes (or maybe dem Roes?) again! :-)

Crashdummie said...

awwww i feel so sorry for you mate, i really do.

It always hurts when ur heart is broken and smashed into smithereens, along with what all the dreams.

Hmm not helping here am i? But chin up soldier - if u can feel so much pain only means your heart can feel so much joy too...

Regarding Damien Rice, I'd recommend 9 crimes... kinda feels appropriate doncha think?

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Gah!

And it all happened without any spoken words.

Damn you modern technology. No body language with which you can decipher any hidden meanings.

Sorry to hear it matey. It was good to see you the other weekend.