Tuesday 6 May 2008

Fun in the Sun

I haven’t ridden my bike in anger since the Plymouth Triathlon all those months ago. The tyres still have a mud coating from that day which reminds me of the wind and rain that howled past my ears on that so-called summer day of July last year.
A late entry to the Taunton Triathlon in two weeks, and a few more race entries for June and July have pushed the motivation to train on my bike up higher than the level of continuing the Band of Brothers marathon I was enjoying 40 minutes ago. I pump up my tyres, fix a hand pump to the frame and throw a spare tube, some pound coins and a nutri-grain in my little bag that sits under my saddle. I take the front door key off my bunch and wrestle the bike down the stairs, through the doors and out onto the street.

I’ve never really been a natural on the bike. When I lived in Lancaster I once vowed to do a whole year of riding to work, and managed it, often swearing under my breath the whole way in as I battled the rain, snow and howling wind. That year of riding at least five times a week definitely made me feel stronger going up hills, but in races I’ve never felt confident I can compete as well on two wheels as I can in the swim and the run. On days like to today though those competitive thoughts get left behind, and I settle into the saddle, enjoy the sun and cool air and let the smiles take over I as eat up the concrete. I catch the ferry over to Cornwall and set off up a huge hill which doesn’t reach the top of the local land until 15Ks are showing on my computer. I pedal round this clifftop road for a bit and stop once or twice to take in the view of Whitsand Bay and Mount Edgecombe. My thighs ache with the new strain put on them, but I feel alive and enjoy the hurting. Eventually I feel the need for speed and head off in direction of the downhill. My destination, the sea and ferry is visible way out in front of me, all bathed in glorious May sunshine. I race downhill trying to push the numbers on the computer up above 60 km/h. On a steep open section, where I can see there are no cars or corners coming up, I get them up above 70km/h - genuinely exciting stuff - and I try not to think about what would happen if I fell off.

I get back on the flat and quickly after that back to the flat, put my bike in the dining room and wobble upstairs to change. I put on some running shorts and trainers and hobble downstairs and try to get into a jog. My legs are still in cycling mode, so it’s hard to get a long, straight stride going as my muscles still want to go round in crank sized circles. After a few Ks they’re just about being normal again and I head back home.

Really enjoyable day out in the sun. It feels like summer already. Tomorrow I’m making the most of my job and having a fieldwork day at the beach. Life is once again sweet!

1 comment:

PG said...

I wish I could do that and feel like that. But, it sounds like hell to me.

I enjoy cycling, but I would definitely kill myself going downhill at 70 km/hr.