Wednesday 30 January 2008

The H-Bomb went off

Looking back now, it feels like the argument was inevitable, but I’m still surprised at its severity. I don’t enjoy conflict with people - I try not to get wound up about anything - but sometimes you have to make a stand. Sometimes you’re forced into a corner by a cold hard bitch and you have to engage just to avoid being bullied.



As soon as we began talking the loose comments piggybacked their way on to the end of an otherwise civilised sentence. The replies contained their own munitions, sometimes hidden in a pause, sometimes on full display, but they all hit their target. Once you’ve set off on this path it’s a slippery slope. Your momentum carries you forward to places you don’t especially want to go. Voices get raised, people are talking over others and neither wants to back down. The noise conveys no meaning but defiance. Any fragment of reserve that was in place at the start has been washed away by the rushing blood and all that remains in its place is instinct. Instinct from ancestors that lived in a wild time, when they had to fight to survive. Soon the insults weren’t camouflaged. They were clear. Rude. Excessive.

A very slippery slope.

My housemate, Psyc, was involved to. He remained calmer than me, despite receiving some heavier flak. I was amazed at how annoying the H-Bomb, my landlady, could be when she went off but I’m still a bit surprised and disappointed in myself for getting so wound up. That said I don’t regret anything I said and think that she deserved it. Some things need to be said.

After 15 minutes, with no progress made, the H-Bomb said,

“Im terminating this meeting, and will be serving eviction notices on you two”

Her fingers were pointing at Psyc and me.

Evicted.

8 comments:

PG said...

Oh shit.

Anonymous said...

Bad Times!

What had you allegedly been up to or not up to?!

Ant said...

Holy balls.

Maybe s'for the best? If your at that stage of argumenting I don't think living there could be much fun...

The Author Of This said...

Mate, Denied!

Must've been an outstanding argument though.

Think she'll provide you with a good reference?

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Pastures new, Sir.

I cannot imagine you getting into a shouting match. She must have been way out of line to incite that in you.

Princess Pointful said...

Damn!!!
For real? Just over a disagreement?
I would say good riddance, but I know what an utter drag moving is....

arbyn said...

ouch.

SMARTBuddy said...

psych: Indeed. Twas an all round rubbish day.
c unit: I still dont really understand. As far as i can see ive been a good housemate, who wasnt even in the house for 2 months while i was in Brazil.
ant: Exactly right- its time to move on. I hope once the weekend of moving house is over ill be able to look back and think its for the best
AMC: I just hope shes not a slag about my deposit- shes already cut off the internet and TV just through spite.
Toast: I know! I was almost livid!
PP: thats the thing- ive managed to get a ridiculous amount of 'stuff' which is gunna take about 5 car loads to clear out. Dam her!!
arbyn: Welcome! It did smart a little!