Thursday 3 January 2008

Carrie from Christmas Eve

Prologue: At the 1996 6th form party Carrie comes and sits on my lap, we talk and I’m reasonably sure I was too drunk to lay down any tangible memory of what unfolded next. This was back in the day when a party snog came more readily than a serious conversation - a trend which has been depressingly reversed in more recent times.

Christmas Eves:

Carrie is one of those people I only ever see on Christmas Eve. She’s there down the local in amongst the frequent knowing nods and occasional awkward conversation that the Christmas cheer - or maybe just the Stella - seems to make slightly more enjoyable than difficult. I’m not sure exactly when we were Christmas Eve reunited after the teenage encounter, but know for certain that ive spoken to her exclusively on Christmas eves for the past 5 years, and possibly a couple more previous to that. Given this fact, I think our relationship is going well. We’ve progressed through the, ‘Hey hows it going’ ...If you asked me now I’m not sure I really know who you are... of the awkward first conversation, through the years of familiar smiles and, ‘Oh Hiya – I only ever really see you on Christmas Eve!’ On to the, ‘See you next year’ and, a year later, ‘Oh Hi, hows it going?’

I've learnt she’s a dentist, and now seems to work for a few months and then goes travelling for the rest of the year. She does both surfing and snowboarding is virtually always the coolest person I meet up the pub on Christmas Eve. In short; I fancy her, but only once a year.

In the last two years we’ve gone on to another pub after the first one like we’ve known each other for years (we have, in a way) and most significantly this year (at least in my head), we did this alone.

I can’t say for her, of course, but in my head at least it was a case of get into another pub, have a beer or two and get a Christmas kiss in. The trouble was this year we couldn’t find a bastard pub that would let us in. After four pub refusals for a variety of not very Christmassy reasons, we made it to the Golden Lion where her brother was inside enjoying a lock in. The doorman was not in the slightest bit interested in a bit of Christmas banter and our available two options both seemed to involve fucking right off. Carrie was staying at her brothers in Downend – quite a hike away – so I found it strange that her brother was more worried about loosing his place in the lock in than helping his sister out. On any other night I would have offered her to stay at my parents and I could have given her a lift in the morning, but this was, after all Christmas Eve, so it didn’t really seem like an option. I couldn’t read whether Carrie wanted me to walk her home (I would have gladly) or wait with her until the pub chucked out, or just snog her face off in the car park*. After probably not enough thought I stood up to the doorman and told him he should let Carrie in as she was a girl on her own and needed to be safe inside with her brother. He agreed to this, which left me just a few seconds - with her brother and the doorman both staring me down - to make my move. Obviously I bailed, and just went for the kiss on the cheek, the ‘Happy Christmas’ and the hug (trying to leave it that micro second longer than I would of if I didn’t care).

Ten seconds later and I’m walking away with no phone number, no email or Facebook-stalking** details (I don’t even know her surname) and 364 days to think about what could have been.

* Two points-
1. This was more like my dream than a realistic option, but hey, this is my Blog.
2. Yes, I just said ‘snog her face off.’

** I don’t like the word stalk, but it is stalking; and don’t pretend you don’t do it. It may as well be called Stalkbook

6 comments:

The Author Of This said...

Damn. I'm ruined! I had SUCH high hopes for the end of that. I'll tell you what though, I willing to bet that she noted the chivalry on your part. And I'll place a bet now that next year she bypasses the "Pub + Hopeful Snog" and goes straight for "Hey, why don't you come over to mine for the evening".

Don't forget your toothbrush though. And keep it on the inside of your jacket pocket so that it doesn't fall out at some really awkward moment...like when you're snogging her face off!

Know what you mean about Facebook. Just had my first "encounter" with a stalker. Some freak nutcase plumb head of a chick I worked with about 6 or 7 years ago requested my "friendship" yesterday. "Ahh, I think not, you LOON!".

Princess Pointful said...

Eep. A year's delay??
The connection is going to be electric next year, at the very least.
The romantic on me wants a break in tradition to make up for this year's disappointment. A random March encounter, perhaps?

Ant said...

Hmmm. I'm bigging up your chivalry but whether it gets noticed by her or not is another matter (though it's a g good litmus test to see if she's worth the bother or not...)

In some ways it's ideal: you've got a year to have fun elsewhere and have a "potential" lined up for next christmas! :-)

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Gah!

What a ball ache.

FaceBook is great for stalking. Did I say that out loud? Someone you know must know her. It can't end here until next christmas, surely???

SMARTBuddy said...

AMC! Ha! Well tune in next year to find out how it goes.... (Actually a friend has pointed me a hopeful direction on this one.. we'll see what happens..

Princess; The year delay wasnt really an issue until those pesky romatic thoughts started their work. March would be lovely- fingers crossed

ant; yeah a 'potential' is always nice to have knocking about at christmas! THis year is going to be a girl fest(!) im sure- check the next post...

Toast; The ever reliable C-Unit has passed on a useful piece of information and there may be pre 1 year hope..

Okami said...

I can't help but still giggle whenever the term "snog" is tossed around. A colleague of mine came back from a 10-day U.K. vacation and began using the term in reference to the completion of various sex acts, as opposed to its actual connotation.

Blissfully, I have had the dingbat’s arrogance corrected by those in the know, but only after a highly comical conversation.

Still makes me laugh though…