Monday 24 September 2007

Discus

When I say to people that i study discus they give a strange look and wonder what Im talking about. I hope a few have had the thought that i study maximising the distance that discus are thrown by the British Olympic team- perhaps looking into discus aerodynamics or density or structure. I even tell some that I study discus reproductive biology. I really hope some of these people have had the doubt, if even for a moment, that the discus thrown by the British Olympic team might actually living things, things which are in need of breeding programme in order to get the best quality traits enhanced for the competition discus.

The truth is I am studying discus fish. When i tell people this they seem glad that the awkard moment when they didnt know what i was talking about has passed, and are so relieved that they dont actually give discus fish much thought.

It was a sad day last week when we had the fist death in the discus camp, and 'male #3', or 'ill-boy' as he was getting called increasingly frequently went off to the big chest freezer in the sky(lab).

A moments silence.

6 comments:

Ant said...

...

Okami said...

A "fist" death?

Sounds...um...dramatic!

I'll refrain from asking what you are doing to the poor things that cause fist death, but try to comfort myself with the solice that it is in the name of research.

It is...

...isn't it?

Princess Pointful said...

Discuss discus.
Indeed.

Studying anything in what seems like minute detail confuses non-academics. I used to study more cognitive psych, and that was a bitch to try to tell people about.

Thankfully my current line of research has a nice "general population" explanation.

R.I.P. Ill-Boy :(

SMARTBuddy said...

ant:
....... wild cheering as the game gets underway

okami: Yeah missed that one. first!He died of an infection, but was nothing to do with me 'doing' anything- we are only observing them for behaviour.

So far.

pp: yeah i have given up explaining to people who only pretend to be interested- its too hard. Its usually more fun to make something up!

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

The plural of Discus: Discii or Discuses.

Discuss

SMARTBuddy said...

A disco of discii? I should probably know, but I dont.