Monday 30 April 2007

The Saturday night twins

I arrived back in Bristol on Saturday morning and then set off to watch Gloucester clinch top spot in the Premiership with a win over Bristol at Ashton gate. After the game I get back to my folks’ house at about 6. I’m tired, and very hungry but happy after an enjoyable afternoon. I consider going up the local fish and chip shop, but then I decide that I can’t face the small but significant amount of effort it would take to put my shoes on and go outside.

A thirty minute power-nap later and Im searching in a giant chest freezer for something to eat. Im deep into the frozen products, maybe a foot and a half under the recently added top layer. This is nearly permafrost down here and I struggle to scrape the ice off each box and read what it is. I finally find something to go with the chips and peas found half way through this frozen transect, but the fish fingers look like they might be from the 1980’s. On the box Captain Birdseye looks like a fresh faced twenty-five year old.

Later on and I’m out in Bristol for a birthday celebration. We’re sat in the White Lion in Clifton village which has a beer garden (though they probably call it an outdoor terrace in these posh parts) that has a cool view of the Clifton Suspension Bridge. It’s a picture postcard scene, and with the garden heater warming my back I’m almost completely over the fact that it was £6.90 for a pint and a Corona.

A friend of a friend is out, along with her twin sister. I find it strange that I don’t find Twin 2 anywhere near as attractive as Twin 1. They’re identical, but there is just something about T1 that T2 the other hasn’t got. This interests me. Could it be the familiarity? (I’ve met T1 before, but not T2). Or fashion sense? (they’re not identically dressed and T1’s legs do look good in her leggins) Or smell? (Ive not consciously smelt either, but I bet somewhere in my brain I know what they both smell like). Maybe it’s this ‘chemistry’ thing people mention but never satisfactorily explain? Or perhaps my looks assessment is being affected by the fact that I thought T2 was a bit stupid after speaking to her.

Later on I meet T1’s boyfriend, who also seems a bit stupid and I wish he was with T2 instead. He doesn’t want to come to the club, but T2 is up for it. T1 eventually decides to accompany her sister to the regular Bristol nightclub, and leaves her boyfriend in a huff. For the time being T1 seems happier now she’s away from the boyfriend and we have a good chat. She insists I give her a piggyback across some cobbles on the way and as we enter the club my mind is racing. Then after being inside for about two and a half minutes they decide they’re leaving as someone (the boyfriend, I think, but not sure) is upset.

Another friend who is normally really composed looses the plot. She was chatting to her ex-boyfriend and she saw his female housemate getting upset while she was talking to him. Now my friend and the other girl are both crying and its time to get home. I don’t think ill ever understand female minds, and there’s no way Ill ever make sense of a female who has been drinking.

Good night though.

4 comments:

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Me neither.

I've been invited out on a hen night in a few weeks time, so I'm expecting plenty of this.

I guess T1 just has the magic.

First impressions last.

SMARTBuddy said...

Doh!
I think I was probably on that list too -Pirates? But have had to cancel as I foolishly forgot Im doing the Taunton Triathlon the next morning.
What a shame- we could have blogged the same night from different perspectives.

Princess Pointful said...

My evil (now former!) building manager has a twin, I just discovered. I like the twin a great deal more.
Then again, I guess 26th impressions last, too.

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Yeah, Pirates.

Don't worry.

You'll get to see pictures!