Saturday 10 March 2007

This post peaks far too early

So much hasn’t happened in the last few weeks I don’t really know where I shouldn’t start.

See, I know that that isn’t funny or clever, but apparently if I write a book in this style and call it ‘Catch 22’ it will be widely regarded (by ‘them’ in the know- I’m really starting to dislike them)) as an all time classic.

Anyway, book reading aside, it’s been a fantastic few weeks. I finished at my temp job and had two interviews, both at Biology departments. Slightly surprisingly I got offered both of these jobs and had a sheepish few days as I juggled the first not-quite-so-good job while waiting to hear from the second slightly-better-and-longer-contract position. The upshot is that Im heading back down to my old undergrad stomping ground in April. This leaves a good few weeks to kill, which led me to be online on Thursday evening searching for flights to Hong Kong.

I had a bit of luck here- it is probably one of those moments which balance out other incidents of bad luck (such as locking your keys in your car, for example…) but that get forgotten in the long run of things resulting in an apparently bad-luck skewed life imbalance. Having looked in the back of the Sunday Times Travel section at ther flights advert bits I was pointed towards the Money section, which had a section on ‘Getting Cheap Flights from the Internet’ This guy quoted a few search engines that compare several hundred travel agencies and flight couriers, and he had an example that got him a flight to Kong land through www.skyscanner.net for £269. In case you were falling asleep, or are not in the know, this is extremely, dare I say fucking cheap. I went onto this site, and it was true; a new company called OasisHongKong fly direct on a 747, and the only catch I could make out was there was no free alcohol. Having previously flown with Brunei Air, this is no big deal. Brunei is a ‘dry’ airline, which not only had no drink for sale but also advertised it was showing Oceans Eleven, which I got quite excited about until the original 60s version started, which somewhat dampened my spirits, which were subsequently fully extinguished when the only available sound was badly dubbed German. In flight entertainment aside, the main trouble with these Far East four-hundred-and-something pound flights (Qatar air, and Phuket Air are other examples of the same ilke Ive been on) is that you also have to endure a 4-8 hour stop over in the middle of nowhere.

My friends out in Kong who ill be staying with both said that the only bad thing they’d heard about Oasis was that there is very little leg room.* Maybe it’ll be so cheap you get a free DVT. Ill let you know how I get on.

*They obviously didn’t hear Be Here Now. Yes, that’s the best joke in this post.

2 comments:

Ultra Toast Mosha God said...

Catch 22 is still better than Be Here Now, which is utter, utter ditchwater

Anonymous said...

Catch 22 is absolutely brilliant, you fool.